University College Birmingham
College in Birmingham, West Midlands
The origins of our College can be traced back to the late 19th century with the foundation of a Municipal Technical School providing cookery and household science courses. The School operated from a number of sites around the City and the archives record the creation of a cookery room in 1916 and residential cookery classes in 1918. In 1927 the name of the School was changed to the Central Technical College. By the 1950s the College had been renamed the College of Technology and a department of Bakery and Domestic Science had been founded. In 1956 Birmingham's Chief Education Officer, E L Russell, recommended to the Local Education Authority the setting up of a separate college dealing with catering, bakery and residential science.